Saying Goodbye to Our 41st President

George H. Bush, newly appointed United Nations Ambassador shown Dec. 18, 1970. (AP Photo/John Duricka)

ASSOCIATED PRESS

Alyssa Urff, Sahuaro News Editor

November 30, 2018 was the day the United States said goodbye to one of our former presidents – George H.W Bush.

While George H.W Bush served as vice president for Ronald Reagan from 1981 to 1989, many know him for being America’s 41st president from 1989 to 1993.   He was also the 11th director of the CIA and the 49th chairman of the Republican National Committee. He was a politician with strong beliefs and conservative morals. He won the election with 52 percent of the votes, carrying 42 states and 426 electoral votes. Politically, Mr. Bush fought for lower taxes, better commercial industry, better trade, and regulatory reform.

Bush was born in Milton Massachusetts on June 12, 1942. His family moved to Greenwich Connecticut shortly after Bush was born. He was an elite naval pilot and a great student. Bush joined the 147th Fighter Interceptor Group Of the Texas Air National Guard in 1968 and fought during the Vietnam War. He graduated from Yale University in 1968 , the same year he joined the naval service.

George H.W Bush’s wife, Barbara Bush, met Bush at a dance at the Round Hill Country Club in Greenwich, Connecticut. She adored Bush as she once said, “I married the first man I ever kissed.” They had 6 children but faced an obstacle when one of their daughter’s, Robin Bush, passed away at the age of 3 from leukemia. Mrs. Bush passed away at the age of 92 earlier this year. While his cause of death is not known yet, Bush was said to have a broken heart about losing Barbara.  George W. Bush broke down briefly at the end of his eulogy.  He took comfort in knowing “Dad is hugging Robin and holding Mom’s hand again.”

The Bush’s family will have a great American history as they continue to be involved in politics and stories of America’s future.